I am often asked about the Filling The Pig mantra “Creating a Lifestyle of Opportunities”, what does it mean?
The dictionary defines Lifestyle and Opportunities like this.
- Lifestyle – the way in which a person or group lives.
- Opportunity (plural opportunities), – a set of circumstances that makes something possible.
From an FTP perspective and as it relates to personal finance – A Lifestyle you love and a Lifestyle of Opportunities is about changing your current financial position to change your future for the better.
It starts by taking control of your finances, paying off debt and saving money (cash). Once you’re successfully managing your money your lifestyle begins to change. The immediate benefits beyond eliminating late fees, interest charges, and monthly payments are the emotional benefits. Less stress, less anxiety, more confidence, a feeling of empowerment.
But the real change – the “game changer” is that you start to think differently. You start to think long-term about your future, and that’s where the Lifestyle of Opportunities comes in.
Consider these Lifestyle Opportunities
No, not from the perspective of being a Wall Street broker or some real estate tycoon (although you may choose those opportunities). Simply from the perspective of making more money from the money you’re already saving. Investing in a Certificate of Deposit, 401(k) or maybe an IRA. Creating opportunity from this perspective can be as simple as contributing $50 per month toward a retirement plan. If you were to contribute $50 per month to a retirement plan and earn a 6% return…
In 10 years you would have $8,234, 20 years $23,217, and in 30 years $50,476.
Investing, saving for retirement are about creating a lifestyle you love – in the future.
- Top 3 Reasons To Contribute to a 401(k) Plan, Simple Retirement Planning
- How to Start Investing in Mutual Funds
- How to Improve Your Finances by Bucking Herd Mentality
- 11 Reasons to Save Money and Pay Off Debt – The Most Important Ones
Stuck in a dead-end job, and want to make a change? Or maybe you love your job and just want to progress further in your career and make more money. A two-year degree, a four-year degree, a Master degree? Or maybe some additional skills training will create future opportunities for you and your family.
Taking control of your finances – saving cash can provide you with the opportunity to have more than one career in a lifetime.
Starting a Home-Based Business
Are you a “crafty” person, like woodworking, write poems and stories, or maybe you have an eye for antiques. Whatever your passion is starting a home-based business can provide significant tax deductions. And, of course, the ability to make more money. Whether it’s a part-time gig or a long-term dream, starting a home-based business can help you create a lifestyle you love.
- How I Made Over $30,000 in 4 Months Flipping Stuff – How to Flip Stuff and Make More Money
- Make Money Online by Renting the Things You Already Own: Peer-to-Peer Renting with Fat Llama
- Real Estate House Flipping, 7 Things to Consider Before You Start – From a DIYer
Money Isn’t Everything – Creating a Lifestyle You Love
I am sure you have heard the term “money isn’t everything”, as it relates to our health, friends and our family it’s a true statement. However let’s be realistic, your financial situation good or bad overflows into all other aspects of your life.
When you take control of your finances, manage your way out of debt and save cash you begin to think differently about the other aspects of your life. Investing, your career and starting a home-based business are just a few of the options that become available. From an FTP perspective that’s creating a Lifestyle of Opportunities a lifestyle you love.
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
- Your Money or Your Life, Vicki Robbin Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence
- Filling The Pig eBook Series – Step-by-Step to Successful Money Management
Sign up for a Kindle Unlimited 30 Day Free Trial and read the complete Filling The Pig finance series of books for free.